Homes Remain Without Power Following Storm
Power is still out to thousands of residents in a four state area following Friday evening’s storms. Several “cooling centers” were opened over the weekend, including one at the multi-purpose building at the Allegany County fairgrounds, allowing residents who were without power to cool off with air conditioning and water. During Friday’s storms, two people were killed in Maryland and 53 of 55 counties in West Virginia were without power in some areas. There still hasn’t been a confirmation by the National Weather Service of a tornado, first spotted in the Mineral County area. The storm was said to be on a northeasterly track, and moving toward the Flintstone area.
Former Announcer Passes Away at 52
Mark Workman, known to thousands of listeners as “Mark St. John” passed away Friday at his home in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. Mark had, at one time, been the chief engineer for radio stations WTBO/WKGO/WFRB and TalkRadio 560. Mark is survived by his mother, sister, nieces and aunts. Private services will be held at the convenience of the family, with burial in the Flatwoods Bowman Cemetery.
Woman Sentenced in Theft
Thirty-seven year old Beth Anne Evans has been sentenced to five years in jail, with four suspended, in a conspiracy to commit theft scheme involving the Baltimore Pike Fire Company. After serving a year in jail, she will be placed on five years of supervised probation. Conditions of that probation include restitution and disassociation with the fire company. There were multiple counts of theft in the case; Ms. Evans had served as an officer of the organization from 2008 through 2011. Prosecuting the case was Assistant State’s Attorney Samuel Lane. Representing Ms. Evans was Attorney David Schram.
Family Displaced by Fire
Members of the Jay Cameron family are being assisted by other family members, following a fire at their home on the Mount Savage Road. The estimated loss to the structure and its contents has been placed at $8,000. The fire originated in a water heater closet, and the preliminary cause was the malfunction of the water heater. The fire was reported by a passerby just before 6 p.m. on Thursday.
Health Department Urges Precautions During Heat Wave
The Allegany County Health Department is urging residents to do what they can to protect themselves and other individuals from extreme heat. Extended periods of high temperatures are not only uncomfortable, but prolonged exposure can lead to heat cramps, heat exhaustion and the most serious-heat stroke. If you have a neighbor, friend or family member who may be especially vulnerable to serious heat related health problems, check on them frequently, and make sure they have air conditioning r other cooling options available to them. Also, bring pets inside, and make sure they, too, have an adequate supply of food and water.
Memorial Walk/Run Scheduled for July 7th
As part of the many activities scheduled to celebrate the 75th anniversary of Fort Hill High School this Saturday is the Dotty Harper Appel Memorial Mini-Marathon/Walk, sponsored by Carpenter’s local #1024. The event will be held at Greenway Avenue Stadiu, with registration from 6:45 a.m. to 7:45 a.m., and the event will begin promptly at 8 a.m. Mrs. Appel was a tireless worker, an active member of the Fort Hill Scholarship Fund, a substitute teacher and Co-chair of the 75th Community Event Planning Committee. The event is being held to honor her many contributions and memory.
Maryland Taxes Take Effect
Some Maryland residents will pay more income taxes and the so-called “flush tax” went into effect yesterday. The income tax increase on individuals who make more than $100,000 or couples who make more than $150,000 is retroactive to January. The “flush tax” on sewer bills will double from $2.50 per month to $5.
Missing Two-Year Old Found Safe
A missing two-year old from Capon Bridge was found safe after about twenty minutes. The child was found off of Beck’s Gap Road near Capon Bridge. He was found in a wooded area, several hundred feet from his residence. As a precaution, he was taken to Hampshire Memorial Hospital for treatment.
Boil Water Advisory in Effect
There is a boil water order in effect for customers in the Scherr, Cabins, Maysville, Dorcas, and Lahmansville areas. If you are a customer of the Petersburg City Water Department, this boil water notice is not in effect. Bring your drinking water to a good boil for about a minute, then turn it off. The Mount Storm Public Service District was not affected.